Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Joyce Zhou' first day at Yale--a Dreary but Fresh Day

After a long and exhausting journey, three of my colleagues and I finally arrived at Yale, a world-renown and prestigious university which many people would long to visit. My first day at Yale was busy and dizzy but full of curiosity and excitement.  It was busy because we had to deal with many things in a new place including going to the registration offices, looking for a supermarket to buy daily necessities, and tiding up my new room. I felt dizzy the whole day just because of the long journey all the way from Changsha to New Haven and a nearly sleepless night caused by the troublesome jet lag.  

Nevertheless, my first day at Yale was filled with curiosity and excitement. People would usually feel curious about a new place, and I am of no exception. As is known to all, Yale University has been enjoying a high reputation all over the world, so I would like to grasp the opportunity to explore everything interesting, particular and impressive, including its history, culture and the people around it. Excitement is another typical feeling of mine on this special day. I was offered  the chance to attend classes at Yale, so it is not strange for me to have such a cheerful feelings. Another reason for me to be elated is that we have two wonderful teachers whom I have heard a lot from my colleagues who came here last year. Both of them were shining with smiles all the time in today’s classes, which impresed me very much. What made me feel more delighted is the moment when the teachers told us that we would have a lot of fun in the first few days instead of being tightened up with busy schedules!

     There was another exciting thing I would like to mention on my first day at Yale because I was  first frightened but later I felt proud. It happened on my way to the supermarket at noon. One of my roommates and I were in a hurry to go to the market when a black young man came up to us and asked whether we came from China. After knowing we are Chinese, the young man said smilingly that he loves China very much and he is saving money to go to visit China. My first reaction was that he wanted to ask for money from us, for Siggy discussed with us in the morning about professional beggars in America, but I soon realized that his only intention was to tell us how much he loves China. Being aware of that, I echoed him with a smile and encouraged him to go to visit China as soon as possible. What a fantastic experience!
     My first day ended with tiredness and excitement. I am so fascinated by the blue sky, fresh air and amicable people at Yale that I am now expecting more gorgeous days to come.





1 comment:

  1. What a lovely story about the black man! I'm so glad you spoke to him because many people just ignore strangers. That was a conversation, though short, was and always will be a treasure to share.

    ReplyDelete